According to the California Law Enforcement Agency Uniform Crime Reports, there were 1,884 murders in California in 2012, which is equal to 5 murders for every 100,000 people living in California. Murder is the most serious criminal charge a person can face, and if convicted, the sentencing is just as serious – even more so if you are facing first-degree murder, manslaughter, or homicide charges.
You need to feel confident that the Ventura murder defense attorney you hire is on your side, and that he or she has the extensive experience and resources needed to fight the charges and, more importantly, the sentencing if convicted.
I am that experienced criminal defense attorney, and when you combine by 20 plus years of criminal defense and trial experience with my vast knowledge and resources, you can take comfort in knowing that I can mount that fight against the serious nature of the charges against you on your behalf with a tireless vigor. Because I focus my criminal defense practice on aggressive defense, no matter the charges, you can rest assured that I am not afraid to use all the methods and options at my disposal to fight the charges and uphold your rights.
Contact my office as soon as possible so we can start reviewing your case in confidence and building a solid defense against the charges.
A Conviction Means Your Life is on the Line
If you are convicted of murder, then you are facing a life sentence, which is what you need to consider when you choose the lawyer to represent you against murder charges. When law enforcement charges you with homicide, you need to understand the seriousness of the charges against you, the evidence against you and the potential consequences should the jury decide to convict you.
Fighting a murder charge means you and your attorney must trust one another and communicate often because a murder charge means you are putting your life in the hands of your attorney. You can rest assured that I will maintain an honest and open dialogue between us, and that I will always tell you like it is, without sugarcoating your options and outcomes.
When I meet a client for the first time, I read the charges and go over them with you in depth to ensure that you understand exactly what is on the line, and why your future is at stake. I will clearly outline:
- What the charges are against you
- What the case’s circumstances are
- What, if any, potential options to get the charges dismissed or dropped are
- Our realistic options to fight the charges or get evience dismissed
- What you can expect to happen throughout every stage of the case
- What the penalties could be upon conviction
- Even about how each of your specific decisions could affect the charges and penalties
Because your criminal defense attorney will be your single most important asset during the course of the case you need to know that I will be there no matter what stage the case is in, what corner it turns, or what evidence pops up.
Judges and prosecutors know me because of my reputation for integrity and honesty, which means they know and respect me and my clients, no matter the charges. Because of my successful and honest reputation, judges and the courts take motions I file and arguments I make on your behalf seriously, unlike other attorneys who tend to see your life as a game.
What this means is that if the case ends up in court, any motions we make to dismiss the charges will be taken seriously, and the judge will listen to what we have to say before making a decision. Every resource, tactic, and legal maneuver to get the charges dismissed, dropped or at very least, reduced will be respected.
Murder Charges with Aggravating Factors
Murder is always punished with harsh penalties and sentences. the typical sentence for a murder conviction could include life without the possibility of parole in Ventura. This typically turns out to be a minimum of 20 years, and a maximum of 25 for each count, to be carried out in a state prison. Sometimes, the defendant is sentenced to death.
However, if the murder charge is accompanied by factors hat “aggravate the circumstances,” it means that the penalties and sentencing will be even stiffer. Some known factors that could aggravate the sentencing portion of your trail include:
- Prior murder convictions
- If another felony was committed in addition, such as rape or robbery
- If the murder victim was law enforcement or a law official
- If the murder victim was tortured
- If the murder victim was ambushed by the accused
- If the accused used poison or explosive materials as the murder weapon
- If the accused is a member of a gang
The penalties for an aggravating factor are worse than those of a general murder, but because murder is a heinous crime already, there is likely going to be no mercy granted, whether there are aggravating circumstances or not.
This is why it is imperative that you contact my office and hire me to defend you as soon as possible after you have been charged. The best defense is an early defense.
Potential Defense Options
While a murder charge is indeed serious, the law provides for a number of defenses against murder charges that every person in Ventura has a right to use. When we develop your defense strategy, we will go over the following potential defense scenarios:
- Law enforcement arrested the wrong person, and you are innocent
- The murder was a result of self-defense, because you were afraid for your life
- The victim provoked you to act, which could result in reduced charges
- The murder was caused by something you did not mean to do – it was an accident
- The victim threatened you or you were otherwise under duress
- The victim was going to harm others, and your actions defended innocents
- Lack of evidence or law enforcement cannot prove that you committed the murder
- You were mentally unstable, or unaware at the time of the murder
Some attorneys in Ventura will promise you that they can get your charges dropped, or get your case dismissed at trial, but unfortunately, no one has the ability to make such claims.
I certainly have never made such claims, as I let my criminal defense record in Ventura speak for itself. I am prided on the defense I provide my clients against murder, and I will not abandon you at any stage of the process.
Ensure you have the best possible defense attorney at your side; contact me to make an appointment today