sunday-morning-light-1757651-h35-year-old Ingrid I. Morataya of Mesa, Arizona was arrested Monday on charges of manslaughter, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and aggravated DUI stemming from a deadly automobile accident which killed both the driver and passenger.

Police say Morataya was driving her Toyota FJ Cruiser vehicle last Monday in speeds of excess of 90 mph when, around 5:15 a.m, she slammed into the back of Chevy Malibu that was stopped at a red light. The impact pushed the Malibu into the SUV in front of it, causing it to roll over. A fourth vehicle was struck by the FJ Cruiser, although its driver and passengers received only minor, non-life-threatening injuries. The driver of the Chevy Malibu, identified as Guadalupe Madril, 37, and passenger Jason Aguilera, 33, were pronounced dead on the scene.

Witnesses said the Toyota Cruiser was the least damaged vehicle at the accident. One witness claimed to have seen the Cruiser’s driver, believed to be Morataya, to get out of the vehicle and perform pushups and jumping jacks. “She skipped right out of there, did some somersaults, very active young lady,” said the witness.

Morataya was taken to the local hospital for treatment of a broken vertebrae, bruising, and other injuries sustained during the accident. Upon her release, police took her into custody, charging the Mesa resident with manslaughter, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and aggravated DUI.

In any fatal accident, we look for signs of impairment in any of the drivers,” said Sgt. Sean Kelly of the Mesa Police Department. “The driver of the Toyota we’re looking at for possible impairment.”

Court records indicate that Morataya had admitted to smoking marijuana the night before the accident, saying “it could have been laced with something.” Mortaya was convicted of DUI back in 2009. During the initial examination, Mesa police officers also noted signs of impairment in Mortaya.

According to, police found family members packing Mortaya’s belongings when they visited her home at 6200 block of East Colby Street. Family members claimed Mortaya was preparing to leave the country and return to her home in Guatemala to avoid being arrested. However, Mesa police officers were closely watching over Mortaya during his stay at the hospital. And once doctors gave her the green light to leave, she was immediately arrested and taken into custody.

There’s been no word yet on whether or not Mortaya has sought legal representation.

Comments are closed.